Sessions 2018 – 2019
Fall I September 5 – October 20
Fall II October 22 – December 3
Winter I December 8 – January 30
(Christmas break from December 21 after classes to January 2. Classes will start again on January 3)
Winter II February 4 – March 23
Spring I March 25 – May 11
Spring II May 13 – June 24
At the Alliance Française of Edmonton, the most popular class is a general French acquisition class, following a textbook framework. It will allow you to develop all five skills: speaking, listening, reading, writing and interacting; and provides you with a wealth of intercultural insight. Through specific communication objectives and interactive activities, you will progress from basic communication situations to more complex interactions, where you must organize your ideas in order to inform, explain, narrate, convince, argue, or speak in public, etc.
Our classes are based on the recommendations of the CEFRL (the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), a standard reference adopted by dozens of educational systems worldwide. The Alliance Française offers quality teaching promoting excellence and is recognized for its high quality programs and the strong bonds formed with its local cultural, educational and business communities. We use a communicative method and an action-oriented approach that will allow you to develop all your oral and written skills. See our schedule and register to French classes
Information about course organization
—— Course organization ——-
We offer 7 sessions betwenn September and August: Fall 1, Fall 2, Winter 1, Winter 2, Spring 1, Spring 2 and Summer (specific session – contact us)
Every session is 6 weeks long (except for the Summer session – contact us if interested).
Pace and Schedule
Our French classes are offered with variable pace and different schedules:
- The semi-intensive pace is 2h twice a week (= 24h/session).
- The regular pace is 3h once a week (= 18h/session).
The classes continue on the same schedule from one session to the other, so if you register in one class, as long as we have 5 students, your class will continue on this schedule for the next sessions.
We use the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, like all European countries, and every Alliance Française in the world.
This framework consists of 6 levels : A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2.
- A1 – Breakthrough or Beginner Level
- A2 – Waystage or Elementary Level
- B1 – Threshold or Intermediate Level
- B2 – Vantage or Upper intermediate Level
- C1 – Effective Operational Proficiency Level
- C2 – Mastery Level
Each levels has sublevels:
- 4 sublevels for A1 (A1.1 > A1.4) – completed in 96h
- 6 sublevels for A2 (A2.1 > A2.6) – completed in 144h (Total 240h to complete level A2)
- 8 sublevels for B1 (B1.1 > B1.8) – completed in 192h (Total 240h to complete level B1)
- 8 sublevels for B2 (B2.1 > B2.8) – completed in 192h (Total 624h to complete level B2)
One session (= 6 weeks) covers one sublevels (slightly less with the 18h course).
- With a semi-intensive pace (24h/session), it will take you 4 sessions to complete the level A1 (4 sublevels), and 6 more sessions to complete the level A2 (6 sublevels).
- With the regular pace (18h/session), it will take you 5 sessions to complete the level A1, 8 sessions for the level A2.
Don’t hesitate to contact us to get more information.
—— Princing ——-
Early-bird and bundle discount are valid until approximately one week to 10 days before the start of the session.
Bundle: for example if you register to a General French class and a Specialized class, or two specialized classes, for the same session and before the end of the early-bird, you get the bundle price for both classes.
|Regular Price||Early-bird price||Bundle price|
|Semi-Intensive General French class
2h twice a week – Total 24h/session
|Regular – General French class
3h once a week – Total 18h/session
2h per week – Total 12h/session
1.5h per week – Total 9h/session
|Private class 12h package||$600|
|Private class 40h package||$1,750.00|
|Books – only for 24h and 18h courses*||$55 (you will use these same books for 9 to 12 months)|
|Membership – Mandatory||$20 (valid for one year from the day you register)|
Credits and Refunds:
- Withdrawals received 10 business days prior to the start date of the course: Students will be refunded full tuition, minus a $30 processing fee. Refunds will be processed to the card used for payment or issued in the form of a cheque if payment was made by cash or cheque.
- Withdrawals received 3 business days before the first lesson but less than 10 business days prior to the start date of the course: Students will be refunded full tuition, minus a $50 administration fee. Refunds will be processed to the card used for payment or issued in the form of a cheque if payment was made by cash or cheque.
- Withdrawals received less than 3 business days before the start date of the course: No refund and no credit note will be issued as a contracted teacher is already assigned and expenses & salary are already engaged
- Membership is refundable when withdrawal is accepted (notice made at least 3 days before the first lesson)
- Books are non-refundable once it has been visibly used
Tuition fee for adult students are tax deductible according to Canada Revenu Agency. A tax receipt will be issued by AFE upon request at the end of the fiscal year.
Don’t hesitate to contact us to get more information.
These specialized courses give you an opportunity to focus on a specific aspect of the French language with classes outside of the textbook in a relaxed atmosphere.
Our specialized classes include:
-Intercation and role play classes
Our classes are seperated in four major levels: A1, A2, B1, B2 Within these levels we have sub-levels. If you are unsure about your level you can take the online placement test and contact us to make an appointment for an oral placement test. The oral placement test is free and lasts about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards we will recommend you the best classes for you based on your goals and level. Learn more about your level and the placement test
Why choose Alliance française of Edmonton ?
Alliance française of Edmonton is part of a large network of 850 local not-for-profit associations, in 136 countries. This is the biggest language school network in the world!
Want to know what makes us so special?